A construction team is only as good as its weakest link, and whether subcontract or directly employed, a site manager has to ensure that there are no weak links in his delivery team. Therefore it is essential for a construction manager to vet his contractors and to complete personal developments plans for his direct team members to ensure that learning needs and aims are indentified, enabled, sourced and implemented.
Support and encouragement may be needed as well as offering learning incentives. By discussion and agreement, these details ought to be registered on a Personal Development Plan (PDP). At development reviews, employees learning goals, progress and achievements should also be recorded. It is normally a joint venture, one that involves the site manager and the co. human resources dept where together, with the employee’s agreement; learning opportunities are identified and enabled.
To prove my point, please review the following typical questions found in the learning outcomes of this Unit:
- Describe the different techniques that can be used to promote benefits of learning to individuals and groups.
- Explain the procedures and methods that should be used to give fair, regular and useful feedback to teams and individuals.
- Explain the methods and techniques of working effectively with teams and individuals in order to identify and prioritise learning needs.
- Outline possible ways of obtaining information from a range of learning activities.
- Explain methods and techniques of discussing and agree development needs with team members.
- Identify any relevant obstacles to an individual’s learning and take actions to remove them.
- Explain procedures that could be implemented to allow support and assistance for team members who are undertaking learning activities.
- Describe the types and ways of identifying obstacles to learning for both individuals and teams.
- Explain how to plan and implement evaluations on learning activities undertaken by team members.
- Describe methods that can measure desired outcomes from learning activities, and ways to ensure that they have been achieved.
- Explain the procedures that are or can be used to update development plans with team members.
The Solution. In order to better enable the seasoned professional to complete this Unit, Identifying and Enabling Learning Opportunities for Given Work Teams in the Workplace, Rivasure has produced a comprehensive online Audio Podcast Course. This Unit is one of many online courses aimed at covering all of the key units contained within the Level 6 Construction Management NVQ Qualification. This series of Audio Podcast Unit Courses lays a solid foundation for each specific subject matter. Each Audio Podcast addresses each knowledge question, unpacking each one in detail and providing relevant and specific guidance.
In this Unit the learning outcomes are as follows;
- Promote the benefits of learning by giving fair, regular and useful feedback on their team’s work performance.
- Work with their team to identify and prioritise learning needs and identify and obtain information on a range of possible learning activities.
- Discuss development needs with team members.
- Support team members in undertaking learning activities by making efforts to remove any obstacles to learning.
- Evaluate the learning activity undertaken with team members to ensure the desired outcomes have been achieved.
- Update development plans with team members.
A learning outcome sets out what a candidate can expect to learn and do as a result of their learning. This Audio Podcast mentoring series is excellent resource for NVQ candidates and management learners studying how to iidentify and enable learning opportunities for given work teams in the workplace