“What will your course do for me?”
I was asked to summarise my Management and Supervisory GAP mentoring training course quickly with the words, “What will your course do for me?” The question was posed by a practicing site manager who already possesses a Black CSCS management card.
I passionately in an unprepared fashion, having been put on the spot, and in a no particular order, blurted out the following:
- Like the SMSTS course, teach about current H&S management legal requirements
- Unlike the SMSTS course, it will teach how to manage and how to manage a construction site safety safely
- It is an excellent CPD H&S management course as I believe the 5 year GAP between SMSTS courses is too long
- Teach and assist trainee managers, foreman and gangers to bridge the GAP into full time management
- Through case studies teach about the role and responsibilities of site managers and site supervisors and will teach how to implement these roles and responsibilities
- Teach about the controlling mind of accidents and incidents in order to protect those responsible for a site and those working on site
- Teach about the benefits of maintaining a moral conscience with regards to managing site H&S
- Mentor all candidates using real the life experiences of practicing professionals using an online candidate friendly management mentoring learning environment
- Allow all candidates to gain and learn from the experience of others in the comfort of their own work place or home, in their own time and at their own pace
Following my brief explanation, the manager enrolled immediately! I did not mention the low cost and money back guarantee, my passion and response given was enough to secure the candidate’s attention and enrolment!
I wrote on a 1st year apprentice yearly pass out review 10 years ago, taking stock of the candidate standing before me, Management material! Last year the candidate got back in touch requesting assistance in gaining a CSCS Black Management card as he was managing civil works at Heathrow Airport!
All our courses are written in a mentoring narrative pedagogy of learning and teaching style which draws on the experiences and practices of current professional site managers and construction manager. These are teachers who are passing on expert Knowledge and Practice to others who are currently working, needing a refresher course, or learning material for the next generation and for those seeking promotion.
I look forward to adding your testimony and course feedback to our records!